In this tutorial, you will learn how to add text to your video online. The only thing you need is an internet connection.
How to add text to your video:
- Log in Type Studio.
- Upload your Video.
- Highlight the sentence or word you want to add text to.
- Click on the "T" in the appearing context menu.
- Now on your video an empty text box appears.
- Click on "add text" to change the style and double-click to add your text.
Get started 🚀
Sign Up or Log in
At first: To create a Type Studio account click here or click here if you already have an account . If you have problems to create an account click here to get instructions on how to create an account.
Upload your video
After the Sign Up, you will be on the project overview of Type Studio.
To upload your video, click on the card in the upper left corner, which is marked with a plus sign.
If you arent familiar with the uploading process and want to know more, click here.
Add text via the transcript
To add text to your video, you now have to mark the sentence or section in your transcript to which you want to add the text to.
A quick instruction on how to add text to your video via the transcript:
- Highlight the part you want to add text to your video.
- Click on the "T" button in the context menu
- The textfield pops up in the video canvas.
- To change the duration of the text, just drag and drop the marker to a different position in the transcript.
Choose the font
To style the text you want to add to your video, you first should choose one of the fonts that match your brand the best.
If you haven't a special brand-font, you can choose the one you like most.
A few tips on which fonts could fit best to your video:
- Lobster, Permanent Marker or Courier are very playful and shouldn't be used in serious contexts.
- Open Sans, Epilogue, Roboto and Montserrat are perfect for neutral - serious usecases.
- Libre Baskerville and Playfair Display are for noble - serious purposes.
- Bebas, Bangers and Alfa Slab are perfect to make it pop.
Choose the perfect color
After choosing, a font you should pick a fitting color for your text on your video.
The easiest way is to choose one color from the presets.
A short course in color psychology:
- Black / White: Neutral and professional.
- Red: Attracts a lot of attention and could have a warning effect
- Yellow: Yellow appears bright, cheerful, friendly, optimistic, and open.
- Blue: Is said to have an emotionally balancing, calming and moderating effect. Blue also looks sporty, technical and dynamic.
- Orange: Stands for light and warmth and security.
- Green: Stands for nature, health, satisfaction, happiness and hope.
Attention: When you add text to your video you always should take care that the text is readable and the contrast is strong enough.
To learn more about text legibility, we can recommend the google text legibility guidelines.
Custom text color
If the color presents don't provide the style you want, for example, if you want to add text to your video that matches your brand, you can choose custom colors for the text and the background.
A quick instruction on how to add custom text to your video:
- Move the circle to change the saturation.
- Pick the color you want.
- If you want to add custom color codes, you can add them here. Hit the arrows to toggle the input mode.
- Preset colors provided by the browser
After you added the text to your video you can now hit the export button in the top right corner and get your video on your own sharing page where you can download your video.
If you want to know more about how to share your video via Type Studio, click here.